I suggest you ...

Exportation

It would be absolutely amazing if you can "export" a document (pdf?) with the details. Like a document for developers.

170 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Luca shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a great idea! I work for a very large digital agency and corporates always want paperwork also our QA's reference something physical. It doesn't matter how much we say you can view it online. They don't care, they need it in a formal legal document. Currently we have to re-explain everything into a functional specification, it takes ages and is a complete inefficient way to just getting specs signed off by the client. if only Zeplin exported comments made on the pages!

• Erica Price commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If we can't export, we would then need a way to have a "snapshot" link of older versions. It's not for developers, it would be for our copy, compliance, and legal team to have in an archive.

• anatol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my developers are super happy. so am i. tho' my clients need a sort of offline document in legal terms. why arguing about "the main reasons we built Zeplin is to avoid creating PDFs". we know that. thats why we use it. still big corporations ask for some PDFs and that would be the reason to move away from zeplin again... : (

• Yang Yang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't be more agree with Tobias. If we could export notes with UI together, it would be really awesome.

• Tobias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that Zeplin is live is what makes it awesome, but the lack of the ability to create a static snapshot of a spec is one of the major disadvantages to us. The problem is that our QA guys need to be able to reference specs at a certain point in time to be able to evaluate whether an implementation is up to spec. We don't need static versions of the redlines, but having a simple view of the UI and the associated annotations that could be printed would be a massive advantage to us.

• Carlos Vargas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is out of the scope of the project. More like a "Nice to have" than a real priority here...

• Ataul Munim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's easy to say this would be useful (it would!) but I can't even imagine how it might be auto-generated.

Zeplin works by showing the dimensions of the selected element, and relative distances to all other elements. This used to be done by designers manually (redlines/spec sheets) but it takes time because it still needs to be done in a logical way that is easy to comprehend.

I was speaking with developers from another company using Zeplin, whose design team were worried about relying on Zeplin - if the service disappeared tomorrow, then all notes would be gone, and suddenly developers would be left in the lurch, with the designers left with a huge backlog of artboards that need manual speccing again. Perhaps this can be mitigated by having an export of the kind that Zeplin can read while offline - so that processes aren't wholly tied to the uptime of the Zeplin service - as I guess this is part of the reason for wanting export functionality.

• AdminPelin Kenez (Product Designer & Co-founder, Zeplin) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually one of the main reasons we built Zeplin is to avoid creating PDFs. :) If you invite people to your project, they can always see the latests, updated specs/guides, discuss on them and so on. We also have a read-only web app where your teammates can see all the stuff you uploaded, even if they don’t have a Mac. https://app.zeplin.io

• Samira Emelie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Developers aren't necessarily the only potential audience. I'd love to be able to export to PDF to hand off to clients, project managers, upload to JIRA, etc.

I agree that Notes would be super helpful to export.

• Justin Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It'd be nice if we could export the whole thing (notes included) similar to how InVision exports notes

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or just export selected assets as PNG, XML (Android) or SVG, which can be used or imported to iOS

Feedback and Knowledge Base